Banteer GAA

The first match on the 25th April 1887

Was played in Banteer


Kanturk G.A.A. Club


Banteer G.A.A. Club

Banteer GAA

The first match on the 25th April 1887 was played in Banteer between Kanturk G.A.A. Club and the Banteer G.A.A. Club. Mr. William Barrett threw in the ball. Great interest was felt as to the issue of the match and betting to a considerable amount was entered upon the result. Fr. Morrissey, Fr. O’Keeffe and Fr. Corbett were in attendance. The Kanturk Brass Band was in attendance. The Banteer team of superior strength were no match for their lively opponents, Kanturk and Kanturk won by two points. A return match was to take place the following Sunday. FOOTBALL MATCH AT BANTEER For the past week great excitement has prevailed in Kanturk and surrounding Districts as to the issue of the final match between the Kanturk and Banteer G.A.A. Clubs which took place on the 2nd May 1887. As the authorities had anticipated that the proceedings would not pass off very peacefully the publicans in the village of Banteer were prohibited from selling intoxicating liquor even to the bona fide travellers. A large posse of police were present under the command of District Inspector Yates of Kanturk. The following clergymen were present, Fr. Morrissey P.P. Banteer, Fr. O’Keeffe C.C. do., Fr. Corbett C.C. do., and Fr. McSweeney C.C. Kanturk. An enormous concourse of people numbering over 5,000 were assembled at the scene of the days amusement which was held in close proximately to the police barrack. The musical strains of the Kanturk Brass Bank lent variety to the proceedings which were conducted in a most orderly manner. The field was roped in and the stewards did their duty most efficiently. The Banteer campaigners team won the toss for the wind, the ball was thrown in and the play commenced. For the first quarter of an hour the play was very even although the Kanturk team kept the ball within 20 yards of their opponents goal. Coming on the half time the real play commenced both teams having got well heated. The Kanturk team played excellently and scored three points before the half time was proclaimed. During the second half the campaigners spurred up in good style but played rather heavily, still they effectually resisted all the efforts of the Kanturk team to bring the ball towards their goal. During the last five minutes the Kanturk team made a successful dash towards their opponents goal and scored another point. The campaigners seemed resolutely determined to send the ball to the goal but signally failed. The time being up the Kanturk team were again proclaimed the winners by four points to nil. The Kanturk team having shown its superiority in football playing marched home triumphantly headed by the Band. The crowd then dispersed quietly. (Cork Examiner 4th May 1887).